The National External Information Service Awards are annually organised by the Steering Committee for External Information, the Party Central Committee’s Commission for Information and Education in coordination with key press agencies including Nhan Dan (People) Newspaper, Vietnam Television (VTV), Radio the Voice of Vietnam (VOV), the Vietnam News Agency (VNA) and other relevant units such as the Ministry of Foreign Affairs; the Ministry of Information and Communications; the Ministry of Culture, Sports and Tourism; the General Department of Politics of the Vietnam People’s Army; the Ho Chi Minh Communist Youth Union Central Committee, and aims to recognise and honour outstanding authors, press works, and books in the external information sector.
I. Purpose and meaning of the Awards
- Affirming the important position and role of external information work in (i) providing information on the domestic situation, the Party’s guidelines and directions, the State’s policies and laws, and Vietnam’s stance on international and regional issues; (ii) promoting the image of the country, culture, history and people of Vietnam, enhancing the country’s international position and prestige; (iii) fighting against false information and distorting statements about Vietnam in the fields of national sovereignty, nation, democracy and human rights.
- Honouring authors and groups of authors with excellent products, initiatives and ideas in the field of external information.
- Motivating collectives and individuals to actively participate in external information dissemination; strengthen the connection between external information and internal information, between agencies, units and localities to improve the efficiency of external information work.
II. Entry Regulations
- The Awards to be presented to external information products including (1) Printed newspapers; (2) Online newspapers; (3) News websites; (4) Radio broadcasts; (5) Television broadcasts; (6) Photos (including Press Photos and Landscape Photos); (7) Books; (8) Video clips and (9) Initiatives, ideas and products related to external information services.
- Submissions can be in Vietnamese or a foreign language and must have been broadcast via mass media and published in Vietnam or a foreign country from July 1 to June 30, 2022. For works released before or after the above-mentioned time, there must be 2/3 of the time, the number of works published within the specified time.
- Works which have already been honoured in other contests are eligible, but must clearly state the award, information about the specific award, the organizer and the contest date.
- Submissions must be free from copyright dispute since the release date.
- Works ineligible for the awards include: a series of stories that are independent works of individual authors at different dates of publishing without a single name for the series; works pending assessment of competent agencies; photos manipulated using photo editing software; works with signs of violation of the provisions of the Copyright Law, the Intellectual Property Law and other legal provisions.
III. Participants of the Awards
- Vietnamese people living in the country or abroad and foreigners have the right to send products that match the criteria of the Awards.
- Each author or group of authors can submit up to seven works/groups of journalistic works or external information products following the criteria of the Awards.
- Members of the Awards Council and the Finals Committee are not allowed to send products to participate in the Awards.
IV. Awarding criteria:
The entries must be timely, unbiased, standardised and scientific; influential nationally and internationally, and appreciated by the public. Submitted works must contribute to Vietnam’s external information service in at least one of the following five ways:
– Give accurate, timely and vivid information about domestic reality, the Party’s guidelines, the State’s policies, law and the Vietnamese stance on regional and international issues; ensuring national sovereignty, territorial integrity and national interests.
– Introduce the quintessence of human culture and progressive thought of the times in line with the Party’s viewpoints, lines, national interests – nation and culture of Vietnam to the people in the country.
– Reflect on the achievements of innovation, international integration and development, especially in the fields of economic development, trade, investment and tourism; achievements in the defence of the Fatherland, ensuring human rights; affirming the role, position and prestige of Vietnam in the international community.
– Promote the image of the country, people, history and culture of Vietnam, the development potential of regions and localities to the international community and Vietnamese compatriots abroad; consolidate the great unity bloc of the whole nation and enlist the consensus and support of the international community.
– Protect the ideological foundation of the Party; fight against and refute false and hostile views, distorting statements, and false propaganda about the situation in Vietnam by hostile forces and opportunities.
- Forms and genres:
2.1. Awards for works in the field of journalism and publishing
Genres: news, interview, personal narrative, commentary, treatise, reportage, investigative reports, radio broadcast and television broadcast, multi-media products, photos and books… as prescribed in Clause 1, Article 4 of this Regulation.
One or a series of stories (no more than five), items must be by the same author or group of authors about the same events or topics. If the entry was published in different languages, only one version is eligible for submission. Entrants must clarify the reason for selecting the language of the submitted entry. Entries in foreign languages do not need to be translated into Vietnamese.
One or a series of stories (no more than five), items must carry the characteristics of an online newspaper, including multimedia items, by the same author or group of authors about the same event or topic. Online news entries must be created initially and exclusively for online newspapers. Entries republished from print newspapers are not eligible. If the entry was published in different languages, only one version is eligible for submission. Entrants must clarify the reason for selecting the language of the submitted entry.
One or a series of stories (no more than five), items including multimedia by the same author or group of authors about the same event or topic. Online news entries must be created exclusively for news websites. Entries republished from print newspapers are not eligible. If the entry was published in different languages, only one version is eligible for submission. Entrants must clarify the reason for selecting the language of the submitted entry.
One or a series of stories (no more than five) about the same events or topics. The duration of a story is no more than 60 minutes. Entries must have clear sound quality for characters’ voices, noise and music. The sound used in the entry must be copyrighted.
One or a series of stories (no more than five), must be about the same event or topic. The duration of each programme is no more than 120 minutes. The entries must carry the characteristics of a television broadcast. The footage and sound of entries must be quality and attractive. Footage and sound used in the entry must be copyrighted.
Photo: including press photo and landscape photo
– Press photo: Including a single photograph or set of photos. Sets of photos about the same matter may be submitted with no more than 10 photos, published in the same newspaper issue or at the same time (for online newspapers).
Landscape photo: Including a single photograph or set of photos. A set of photos must be submitted with no more than 10 photos, which must have been published in the same newspaper issue or at the same time (for online newspapers). Photos manipulated using photo editing software are not eligible.
Book: One book or set of books published in Vietnamese or foreign languages.
2.2. Awards for video clips and initiatives, ideas and products related to external information services
Video clip: A video clip or a series of video clips (with no more than 05 products) about the same event or topic; must have been published for the first time on the internet (excluding journalistic works which have been published and then re-posted on the internet). The video clips should promote the country and people of Vietnam to the world, using animations, images, and sounds that meet the requirements of quality and attractiveness. Images and sounds used in the clips must be copyrighted.
Each video clip must be no more than 5 minutes in length. Video clips posted on social networks (Facebook, Tiktok…), must be longer than 30s, and less than 2 minutes in length.
Initiatives, ideas and products related to external information services: Initiatives, ideas and activities related to external information services should actively advertise and promote the country and people of Vietnam to the world in accordance with Vietnamese culture and traditions and have received appreciation from the public.
- Entries and products published or distributed in the country must pursuant to the provisions of Vietnamese law. Authors or groups of authors who submit multiple entries and products which win prizes will only receive the highest one.
IV. Submission document guidelines
1.Author of entry
Submission for author of entry includes full name, pen name, citizen ID card number, current title, workplace, mobile phone number, and email address.
For a group of authors, there should be a note about the person representing the group.
- Entry/ products
2.1. Press works
Each entry must be submitted with a general introduction in Vietnamese language, introducing its form, genre, main content, context of the story, and the outstanding features of the entry’s findings, influence and attraction.
For entries in print, online newspaper, and news website: Entry must be submitted in the original printed copies or copies from a printed newspaper or online newspaper (attached with links to the online newspaper and news website). If the entry includes several pieces, these must be pasted in A4 format with page numbers and attached with 04 photocopies.
For radio broadcasts: Entries must be copied on compact disc (CD) or USB drive or via links on storage services such as Dropbox and Google drive, with the name of the agency, author, entry, genre, duration and time of broadcast written on the cover, along with a transcript of the entry, certified by the publication.
For television broadcasts: Entries must be submitted via links on storage services such as Dropbox and Google drive and a copy on DVD or USB drive, with the name of the agency, author, entry, genre, duration and time of broadcast written on the cover, and a transcript and a detailed running-order sheet, certified by the publication.
For press photos: In addition to photos already published on newspaper or magazine, submissions must include enlarged photos on photographic paper, sized 18cm x 24cm (single photo) and 12cm x 18cm (set of photos or photo news).
For landscape photos: In addition to photos already published via newspaper or magazine, submissions must include enlarged photos on photographic paper, sized 18cm x 24cm (single photo) and 12cm x 18cm (set of photos).
For books: Entries must be the original copy (It is recommended to send a PDF file with a photo of the book via email). If the entry is a translated book, it must be submitted with a consent paper from the author, the translator and the publishing house (for winning entries).
2.2. Video clips and initiatives, ideas and products related to external information services
For video clips: Entries must be submitted with information on the author/group of authors; a general introduction on the entry, focusing on the outstanding features of its findings, influence and attraction through figures on counts of views, likes or shares on the internet. Entries must be copied on compact disc (CD) or USB drive or via links on storage services such as Dropbox and Google Drive.
Video clips posted on social networks (Facebook, Tiktok…) must be copyrighted and posted on personal accounts with one of hashtags #giaithuongttdn or #ttdn on the post.
For initiatives, ideas and products related to external information services: Entries must be submitted with the content/presentation of the initiatives and ideas of the authors with proven evidence of the entries’ influence.
The council will not return contest entries.
– 01 special prize will be granted to one entry with the most outstanding content
– Prizes are presented to entries/products in the following categories: (1) print newspaper in Vietnamese language, (2) online newspaper and websites in Vietnamese language, (3) print newspaper in foreign language, (4) online newspaper and websites in foreign languages, (5) radio, (6) television, (7) photo, (8) book, (9) video clips, and (10) initiatives, ideas and products related to external information services
– Each category consists of one first, two second, three third, and five consolation prizes.
– The number of prizes will be decided by the award council.
VII. Benefits of award winners
- Prize winners will receive:
– National External Information Service Award trophy
– A certificate from the award council
– Cash prize (special prize worth 30 million VND, first prize: 20 million VND, second prize: 15 million VND, third prize: 10 million VND, consolation prize: 5 million VND)
- Award-winning organisations and individuals can use the award’s trophy for promotional and communication activities, and are rewarded by the ministries, sectors, and agencies in accordance with law.
VIII. Settlement of complaints and denunciations, and handling of violations
- Individuals have the right to complain about the award results and violations of regulations and procedures for awarding prizes. The complaints must be sent to the standing agency of the Awards, with the full name and address of the complainant as well as reasons for the complaint. The standing agency of the Awards is responsible for reviewing and responding to complaints, and reporting the results of complaint settlement to the Awards Council. Complaint letters without clear name or address, or impersonation complaints will not be considered.
- The Awards Council will revoke an award and notify the relevant authorities it in accordance with the law for the following cases: (i) entries violate the Press Law, Law on Publication, Copyright Law, Law on Intellectual Property, relevant State regulations, and this announcement; (ii) entrants taking advantage of the Awards to commit illegal acts. The council do not consider complaint letters with unclear name and address or impersonation letters.
The withdrawal of the award will be publicly announced in the mass media.
IX. Standing agency of the Awards
Nhan Dan Newspaper is the standing agency of the eighth National External Information Service Awards.
The contest is open to media agencies, publishing agencies, ministries, sectors, localities, representative agencies of Vietnam abroad, Vietnam’s friendship organisations, as well as authors and groups of authors having entries/products meeting the requirements set in this announcement. Contest entries must be submitted prior to August 1, 2022.
Please send entries to: The Office for Party work and social organisations, under Nhan Dan Newspaper, 71 Hang Trong Street, Hoan Kiem District, Hanoi.
Tel: +84 24 39381487
Please write “Submission for National External Information Service Awards” on the postal envelop./.